AFC Leopards progress, Tusker knocked out of SportPesa Super Cup

By alex wafula
Jun 05, 2017
  • AFC Leopards Bernard Mangoli beats Ulinzi's Samuel Onyango in a KPL match. He scored one of the penalties against Singida United (SNA. File Photo)

AFC Leopards and Tusker FC, Kenya’s representatives in the SportPesa Super Cup in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania found themselves on two different sides of penalty shoot-out results in the opening day of the tournament on Monday.

AFC Leopards were 5-4 winners over Tanzania’s Singida United while Tusker, the Kenyan Premier League defending champions lost 4-2 to their Tanzanian counterparts in the late kick off.

Ingwe finally had something to put a glimmer on their dark rings around their first half of 2017.

They came from a goal down to tie 1-1 with Singida United who were recently promoted to the Tanzanian top tier.

Youngster Vincent Oburu who was playing his first competitive game for the club since being promoted from the junior ranks drew the team level in the second half, cancelling out Kitinyu Tafadzwa’s first half header.

The 19-year old had been slapped with a six month ban for double signing after penning contracts with both AFC Leopards and Gor Mahia.

In post-match penalties, Singida’s Chuku Salum skied his effort with Ingwe scoring all their five.

Atupele Green and Hamisi Shango kicked off well for Singida scoring the first two with AFC Leopards responding through Bernard Mang’oli and Oburu.

On the third effort, Salum skied the effort and AFC Leopards took full advantage of the slip up, Allan Katterega scoring the third.

Progress to semis

The hosts scored the last two through Nhivi Simbarashe and Elisha Muraiwa, but it counted for nothing as Duncan Otieno and Gilbert Fiamenyo responded ensuring the team progresses to the semi finals.

Zimbabwean Tafadzwa opened the scoring in the 12th minute, heading in from the near post after rushing to meet a Jackton Robert corner.

AFC But before going behind, the 13-time Kenyan league champions had twice come close. Gilbert Fiamenyo‘s shot inside the box after outmuscling his marker came off the bar while Mang’oli sent a long range effort inches wide.

The Kenyan side thought they had drawn parity on the quarter hour mark but Oburu’s effort was ruled out for offside. The visitors seemed to have upped the tempo, creating more chances.

From an Oburu overhead kick at the edge of the six yard box, the Singida backline scrumbled to clear off the line just before the end of the first half.

In the second half Ingwe were more resilient and attacked from the onset. Fiamenyo should have done better with a header off an Otieno delivery but the keeper saved.

Eight minutes later though, Oburu struck a well weighted left footed shot after bolting away from his markers on the left.

Ingwe had chances to win the game in regular time and they came close with Duncan Otieno’s shot being punched away by the keeper. Fiamenyo also forced a similar save from the shot stopper.

Clearest chance

In the late kick off, Tusker and Yanga didn’t provide much of goal scoring opportunities with the clearest of chances falling on Obrey Chirwa whose shot from the left brushed the bar.

While Tusker played out their best squad save for Marlon Tangauzi who is with the national team, Yanga played a much weakened side.

Most of their players are with the Taifa Stars squad while midfielder and captain Haruna Niyonzima is with the Rwandese team.

On penalties, Clifford Alwanga missed while Stephen Owusu struck the crossbar. Skipper Nadir Haroub and Obrey Chirwa scored the first two for Yanga before Noah Wafula and Brian Osumba responded in style for the brewers.

However, after Maka Edward had scored Yanga’s third, Alwanga stepped up and saw keeper Deogratius Munishi dive to his left to parry out the effort.

Andrew Chikupe kept the advantage on for the home team and with Owusu missing the fourth, it was game over for Tusker.

On Tuesday, record Kenyan champions Gor Mahia will play Zanzibari opponents Jang’ombe FC while the fourth of Kenya’s representatives Nakuru All Stars will go blow for blow with Tanzanian giants Simba SC.