Bandari dump Gor off GOtv Shield in dramatic shoot-out

By alex wafula
Jul 10, 2017
  • Meddie Kagere takes on Noah Abich in a GOtv Shield match which Bandari won in sudden-death penalties. (Photo by Alex Wafula)

  • Vihiga United Patrick Okullo tussle with Ushuru Bebeto Hwamba in a GOtv Shield match. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

Second choice goalkeeper Joseph Okoth proved heroic, coming off the bench to save three penalties as Bandari progressed to the third round of the GOtv Shield with a 6-5 penalties win over Gor Mahia in Thika.

With the game tied at 1-1, Okoth jogged into the pitch in the 91st minute, replacing Wilson Obungu as Bandari looked prepared to head into penalties.

Okoth’s first task was to deal with a corner as Gor surged for a winner, which he did well.

But, his masterstroke was not effectively clearing off the last minute pressure corner. It came just within the job brief he had been given by coach Paul Nkata when coming on; penalties.

The shot stopper thrice saved his side from a bullet, seeing the 2015 champions keep their dream alive at the expense of K’Ogalo who have won it 10 times.

Nkata, the Bandari coach, looks to make history by being the first ever coach to win it back to back with two different teams having won it last year with Tusker.

“I can’t say much about that. What I know is we are going match by match. If it happens, well and good. But today we have shown everyone that we can do it,” Nkata told Sports News Arena.

Gor who had come from behind to tie the game 1-1 in regulation time twice had an easy chance to win the game from the spot kicks but squandered.

Duncan Otewa stepping up fist for Bandari struck his penalty wide with Meddie Kagere scoring Gor’s first taking them firmly into the driver’s seat.

Cosmas Lewis, Gor’s scorer in regulation time stepped up for the second and made no mistake.

Boniface Omondi who scored Gor’s equalizer from open play kept the advantage scoring, but Hamisi Mwinyi responded for Bandari.

Shakava sruck a sweet effort

With scores at 2-2, defender Harun Shakava stepped up and struck a sweet effort into the top left to give Gor a 3-2 advantage.

Keeper Boniface Oluoch then produced a fine save to deny Anthony Lugogo, meaning the game was in Gor’s hand.

However, with new coach Dylan Kerr watching from the stands, Gor failed to take advantage with Francis Kahata’s shot saved by Okoth.

Noah Abich then stepped up for Bandari’s final kick of the first five and he scored, keeping Bandari’s faint hopes alive.

All eyes were now on Okoth to save Bandari as Gor would have won had they scored the final kick. It was Oluoch who stepped up to take the decisive kick.

However, Okoth didn’t have much to do as Oluoch struck his effort wide.

Heading into sudden death, both teams scored the first two strokes. Anthony Wambani and Michael Luvutsi scored for Bandari while Wellington Ochieng and Musa Mohammed scored for Gor Mahia.

The pendulum swung right into Gor Mahia’s favor with Siraj Mohammed striking his penalty onto the crossbar. Kenneth Muguna only needed to score to give Gor a third round ticket but Okoth sprung well into his left, saving the effort.

Bandari seemed to have learned their lessons and Felly Mulumba stepped up to hit a sweet strike into the roof of the net. Okoth wound up his heroics, keeping away Ernest Wendo’s penalty as Bandari squeezed through.

“It was a good game to watch but definitely not the best ways to start my life here in Kenya. We conceded from a very quick counter attack and in the penalties, it is anybody’s game. I am not overly disappointed today but we have seen what we need to work on,” Kerr told Sports News Arena after the match.

It was a hotly contested tie with Nkata’s young side giving Gor a run for their money. The first half didn’t provide any goals, save for end to end entertainment.

The goals came through in the second half and it was Bandari who went up first with a breathtaking counter, finished off by Cosmas.

Injection of pace

An injection of pace by the impressive Abdallah Hamissi saw him skip away from both Wendo and Musa Mohammed before slapping a low cross which Cosmas only but guided into the net.

But, a lapse in concentration saw Gor get the equalizer with new boy Omondi scoring from close range after Obungu spilled a shot from Innocent Wafula.

Omondi signed last month from Nzoia Sugar had come on as an early sub replacing Jacques Tuyisenge who picked up an injury.

Bandari had done well to kill Gor’s flow on the flanks which is their biggest danger point.

Karim Nizigiyimana and George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo were limited in their movement, something that saw Gor fail to tick as much as they love to do.

In the earlier kick off, goals in either half by Stephen Onyango and Geoffrey Ouma gave National Super League side Bidco United a 2-0 win over Rain Forest Rangers as they advanced to the third round of the Gotv Shield.

This was coach Robert Matano’s final match in charge of Bidco before he leaves to join AFC Leopards where he has signed a six month contract.

In other matches, defending champions Tusker FC sailed through to the last 16 after a 1-0 win over National Super League side Palos FC in Meru. Jackson Macharia scored Tusker’s lone goal in the 20th minute.

GOtv Shield Round of 32 results

Saturday: Zetech 0 Kakamega Homeboyz 1, AFC Leopards 2 Nairobi Stima 0 (Mumias Complex), Mwatate United 0 Butterfly FC 2 (Wundanyi Stadium, Voi), Kenpoly 0 Kariobangi Sharks 2, Nakumatt 0 (7) Modern Coast 0 (6) (Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos), Ulinzi Stars 0 Sony Sugar 1 (Afraha Stadium), , Karatina Homeboyz v GFE 105, Sofapaka 1 Western Stima (Thika Sub-0 County Stadium).

Sunday: Young Divers 2 Eldoret Youth 1 (Mbaraki Complex), Wazito v KCB, Ushuru 0 (2) Vihiga United 0 (4) (Camp Toyoyo) Bidco FC 2 Rainforest 0, Gor Mahia 1 (5) Bandari 1 (6), (Thika Sub County Stadium), Taqwa 1 Savannah 2, Tusker 1 Palos 0 (Kinoru Stadium Meru), Coast Stima 0 (4) v Nzoia Sugar 0 (5) (Mbaraki Complex).