Butali show form of champions with win over Wazalendo

By ronnie evans
May 07, 2017
  • Butali players celebrate after winning a past league match. They beat Wazalendo 2-1 on Sunday.(Photo by Shutterspeed)

Brian Musasia converted a 40th minute penalty corner as Butali Sugar Warriors recovered from a goal down to secure a 2-1 win over Wazalendo in a hotly contested Kenya Hockey Union men’s Premier League match at the City Park Stadium on Sunday.

Wazalendo stunned the 2015 champions in the second minute of the match when Stanley Chege scored after a defence-splitting pass from Elly Mwanzi.

The goal unsettled the league reigning champions Butali Sugar from their usual rhythm. Lack of match fitness was also evident in their ranks with dependable first choice defender Said Okwemba looking sluggish on the ball when falling back.

He was eventually substituted for a more efficient Constant Wakhura.

Butali Sugar veteran Zack Aura squeezed a pass to Frank Wanangwe in the 17th minute, whose low shot was blocked away at the far post by Bright Kezangwa in goal.

They eventually found an equaliser in the 24th minute. Aura’s deflected pass fell on the path of substitute Seth Oburu who steered the ball into the empty net.

In the second half, Kezangwa brilliantly intercepted Lawrence Okubasu’s path to goal in the 36th minute with the midfielder poised to score.

Butali Sugar scored the winner in the 40th minute after Aura’s penalty corner was controlled by Oburu who squared it for Musasia to nod home.

“We were lucky to get the win today. I attribute our slow play to the lack of playing matches consistently. We did not play our usual game so hopefully we can get back to our level of hockey when we play on a regular basis,” Butali Sugar coach Godfrey Wakachunga said after the match.

“We played well and gave it our best against a top side. Our finishing let us down as I believe we could have had a better result in this match. Our performance against them will surely boost the players’ confidence heading into the next matches,” Wazalendo coach Fidelis Kimanzi said.

KU bounce back

In another match, Kenyatta University bounced back from a humiliating 1-5 defeat to Kenya Police as captain Lawrence Makhatsa’s goal sealed a 1-0 win over Technical University of Kenya.

The fiery encounter saw both teams create half chances without an end product in front of goal.

The match turned on its head in the 43rd minute when Makhatsa received a through pass from Godwin Aseka, left several markers in his wake before slotting home.

Strathmore frustrate KU women

In the women’s category, Strathmore University got back to winning ways after they comfortably beat Kenyatta University 3-0 in the derby.

They missed the services of two key players for second straight match but managed to pull off a clinical performance. Striker Gilly Okumu missed out through a knee injury while Winnie Ingati was also absent as she recovers from a broken finger.

Strathmore University lost to Telkom Orange 0-2 before drawing with Chase Amira 1-1 in their last two matches.

In this match, second half goals by Ruth Odhiambo, captain Yvonne Karanja and Denise Odongo sealed the all important three points for the Meshack Senge-coached side.

Odhiambo scored after converting Elizabeth Ngombo's well taken penalty corner in the 41st minute. Karanja had a fine solo effort when she create space for herself before lobbing the ball past goalkeeper Daisy Odera four minutes later. Odongo rounded up the scoring in the 60th minute with virtually the last touch of the match.

Weekend Results

Sunday: Kenyatta University 0 Strathmore University 3 - Premier League Women;Technical University of Kenya 0 Kenyatta University 1, Butali Sugar Warriors 2 Wazalendo 1 - Premier League Men.

Saturday: University of Nairobi 0 Chase Amira 6 - Premier League Women; Kenya College of Accountancy-University 0 Sikh Union, Nairobi 0, Chase Sailors 1 Park Road Badgers 2 - Premier League Men.