Butali sink KCA-U, Police lock up Park Road

By sportsnewsarena correspondent
Jul 30, 2017
  • Frank Wanangwe of Butali Sugar Warriors in a tussle for the ball with Anthony Simiyu of KCA-U in a Kenya Hockey Union men's Premier league match which Butali won 3-0. (Photo by Alvin Wesonga)

Zack Aura returned with a bang to inspire second-placed Butali Sugar Warriors to a 3-0 win over KCA University at the City Park Stadioum on Saturday as the first leg of the 2017 Kenya Hockey Union men's Premier League concluded.

Alvin Wesonga reports that the sugar millers started off on a high and were rewarded with an early minute goal by Kenyan International Derrick Kuloba who slotted the ball past Kim Kimiti the KCA-U goalkeeper.

The students were overwhelmed in the midfield by their stronger opponents who relied on the skilful Billy Mollah whose distribution caused problems for the Thika Road-based team.

Butali Sugar Warriors added the second goal in the 10th minute after Gordon Oduor mishandled a Zack Aura goalbound ball. The umpire, Wycliffe Ongori awarded a penalty stroke which Constant Wakhura converted.

After the second goal, Butali Sugar Warriors controlled the pace with KCA-U having minimal goal scoring opportunities.

In the second half Barnabas Odhiambo squandered a goal in the 43rd minute and Aura who showed no rust also missed to tuck in a penalty corner set piece in the 44th minute.

But, he scored the third goal in the 49th minute from another penalty corner set piece.

After the match, Kuloba was quick to express his delight saying it was one of the brilliant performances they have had this season.

Wakhura who scored the first goal for Butali Sugar Warriors first goal scorer acknowledged it wasn’t an easy task. “It’s the league and no one knows how each team prepares. The league cannot be predicted so our win did not just come on a silver platter.”

Butali Sugar Warriors are still second on the league table seven points behind league leaders Kenya Police.

Big win

In another match, league leaders Kenya Police maintained their 14 match unbeaten run with a perfect first leg finish by beating Park Road Badgers 5-1.

The match which played under a floodlits saw Park Road clow down the fast-attacking lawmakers.

But they were unable to prevent Samuel Wokila the Kenya Police forward from scoring the opening goal past Allan Keselwa in the 15th minute.

The match degenerated into a physical affair resulting into injuries sometimes from reckless tackles.

Kenya Police effectively used counter attacks as they pressed for more goals. They were rewarded in the dying minutes of the first half when Amos Barkibir added the second goal.

On resumption, Kenya Police did not slow down the tempo and Titus Kimutai scored the third in the 32nd minute after a quick interchange with Willis Okeyo.

The fourth goal was scored by Felix Okoth in the 41st minute and Kenya Police skipper and national team forward Samuel Oungo scored the fifth from a penalty stroke.

Park Road replied with a consolation goal by Ian Langat in the 55th minute.

After the match, Kenya Police defender Robert Masibo said they were not under any pressure to win because they were confident.

“Although it wasn’t an easy affair, we did our best. We hope to maintain our form in the second leg,” the defender stated.

In another match, champions Strathmore University suffered a shocking 0-1 loss to hosts Nakuru Athletic. They sllipped to the bottom three 27 points behind league leaders Kenya Police.

Saturday results

Premier League Men: Kenya Police 5 Park Road Badgers 1, Butali Sugar Warriors 3 KCAU 0, Nakuru Athletic 1 Strathmore University 0, Kenyatta University 1 Chase Sailors 0.

National League Men

Gorillas 3 Thika Rovers 2.