Change in tactics works for Wakachunga against TUK

By ronnie evans
Jun 15, 2017
  • Godfrey Wakachunga, the Butali Sugar Warriors coach believes his team can complete the first leg on a high note. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

Butali Sugar moved to second on the Kenya Hockey Union men’s Premier League after a routine 4-0 win over Technical University of Kenya in a mid-week clash played at the City Park Stadium.

The win ensured that the 2015 champions cut the gap on league leaders Kenya Police to six points and have two matches in hand. They now have 25 points, two more than Green Sharks who they leapfrogged.

Coach Godfrey Wakachunga wants his team to continue the winning streak and admitted his side was tactically superior on the day.

“Our tactics worked for us today and the players executed the game plan set. We took some time to settle but once we scored in the second quarter then the game opened up a bit. We aim to win our remaining matches in the first leg,” he said.

In this match, Wakachunga made slight changes to the squad that beat Park Road Badgers 3-0 in the last match. Veteran Arif Shah was included in the starting lineup after missing out in the last match. Brian Musasia was rested.

Dynamic midfielder Tony Nyikuri who started against Park Road dropped to the bench.

Dominant Butali

In this match, Butali Sugar was the dominant side by dictating the flow and pace of the goal.

TUK managed to contain a flurry of chances from the opposition attack in the first quarter. Wakachunga brought on Barnabus Odhiambo in the second quarter, a move that proved to be a master piece.

He was on hand to slot home a penalty corner in the 18th minute delivered by Vincent Odhiambo to notch his second goal of the season.

Ten minutes later, the sporadically used Lawrence Okubasu made it 2-0 to finish off a well worked move.

Forward Seth Oburu, who has had to cope with extended time on the bench due the return of first choice Emmanuel Simiyu made his limited game time count when he scored from a tight angle in the 46th minute.

Simiyu, who played in only his second match since serving a short suspension imposed by KHU had a striker’s poaching instinct as he rifled home in the 47th minute to put the result beyond doubt.

 All in all, it was a comfortable day in the office for Butali Sugar but the same cannot be said of the students who were promoted to the top flight this season.

TUK have now lost four of their last six matches and eighth overall of their 10 matches played this season. This leaves them at the bottom of the log with four points with the conclusion of the first leg on the horizon.