Cricket Kenya signs new contracts with top players

Aug 30, 2010

Cricket Kenya has signed new contracts with 14 members of the national team, which run until May 2011.

The two parties reached an agreement following a series of meetings between CK officials and the players and their representatives.

Cricket Kenya Chief Executive Tom Sears said in a press statement that the meeting was able to address several issues and they are now focused on developing and strengthening the game at all levels.

“Obviously this has been a difficult issue that resulted in a completely unacceptable situation where we were unable to fulfil an important part of our preparation for a major ICC event,” said Sears.

‘It is fair to say that some good has come out of the initial dispute in the fact that after a series of meetings and presentations the players now have a better understanding of Cricket Kenya’s plan for the future, the constraints we as an organization face and their responsibilities as members of the national squad.”

The players went on strike in June over a contractual dispute forcing Cricket Kenya to cancel a short tour to England .The strike also affected Kenya’s performance in the World Cricket League Division One tournament in Netherlands.

Captain Morris Ouma was pleased that the contractual disputes had been resolved.” The process has been very positive and constructive and we are now looking forward to focusing on our cricket and achieving the standards we set ourselves as a squad, something which we have failed to do recently.”

Kenya is set to host Afghanistan in Nairobi in October for the ICC intercontinental Cup. The two teams will also play three ODIs in Nairobi.

Evelyn Watta

© All rights reserved