Crowd trouble mars controversial Tusker win over Gor Mahia

By alex wafula
Apr 17, 2016
  • Tusker Humprey Mieno dribbles past Gor Mahia's George Odhiambo and Francis Kahata. He scored the lone goal. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

  • GSU Police keep order at the Gor Mahia and Tusker match. (Photo By Shutterspeed)

Humphrey Mieno scored a controversial 68th minute penalty as Tusker FC beat Gor Mahia 1-0 at the Nyayo National Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The match was marred by crowd trouble and was stopped for 15 minutes after Tusker’s goal with the Gor fans throwing stones into the pitch protesting the penalty awarded to the brewers.

Second assistant referee George Mwangi waved his flag for a handball inside the box from a Shafik Batambuze freekick, but television replays showed it was Tusker’s Eugene Asike who had handled the ball.

Mieno stepped up and scored, which ignited violence from the fans who caused the match to stop But   after being talked to by the club captain Musa Mohammed and a few stewards, the game went on to the final whistle.

Fans still caused havoc after the final whistle, baying for the referee’s blood and this forced police offers to lob teargas canisters to disperse the fans who had started throwing stones into the pitch again.

The win ensure Tusker spend another week on the top of the SportPesa-sponsored Kenya Premier League table.

Gor sought to start on a high and in the sixth minute, they came close with Ronald Omino forcing Tusker’s David Okello into a superb save to tip off his bouncing header for a corner.

On the other end, Antony Ndolo saw his effort come off the underside of the bar after rushing to meet a corner from Batambuze.

Ghanaian Stephen Owusu had the ball fall gracefully on his path in the 21st minute after Musa Mohammed missed to clear from a Luis Misiko cross, but he could not get a good hold of it the ball bouncing off his arms.

Another chance

Noah Wafula had another chance in the 33rd minute from another Misiko delivery, but his low drive from the edge of the box evaded the target by a whisker. In the second half, both sides maintained the same tempo with Gor tactician Jose Marcello Ferreira hauling off Innocent Wafula for Ronald Omino while his opposite number Paul Nkata brought on Clifford Alwanga for Noah Wafula.

Just as Tusker were being awarded the penalty, Ferreira was preparing Rwandese Jacques Tuyisenge to come on in a bid to bolster the strength going forward. The striker made an immediate impact with his hard working nature and was unlucky to see a freekick blocked inches off the line by his team mate Innocent Wafula.

He came close again with an acrobatic effort inside the box but Eugene Asike put his body on the line to block off the ball. Tusker managed to hold on to the slender lead.

In another match played on Saturday, Salim Babu picked up from where he left last season as he guided Sony Sugar to their first win of the season, winning 1-0 against Chemelil Sugar at the Awendo Complex.

This was Babu’s first match since taking over from Leonard Odipo who quit under the heat of the moment early this week. Justine Monda scored the lone goal in the first half to hand Sony a huge reprieve as they got off the bottom three for the first time this season.

In Mombasa, Edwin Lavatsa scored a second half equalizer for the hosts Bandari as they drew 1-1 with Posta Rangers.

Saturday results: Tusker FC 1Gor Mahia 0 (Nyayo Stadium), Sony Sugar 1 Chemelil Sugar 0 (Awendo), Muhoroni Youth 0 Western Stima 0 (Muhoroni), Bandari FC 1 Posta Rangers 1(Mbaraki) Sunday fixtures: Ulinzi Stars v Mathare United (Afraha Stadium), Thika United v Nairobi City Stars (Thika County Stadium), Sofapaka v Kakamega Homeboyz, Ushuru v AFC Leopards (Nyayo Stadium)