End of the road for Gor in Kigali?

By sportsnewsarena correspondent
Aug 11, 2014
  • Allan Wanga scored one of the goals for El Merreikh. (Photo courtesy pic-centre)

  • Dan Sserunkuma of Gor Mahia shields the ball from Atletico's Patient Muhuza at the Kagame Cecafa Club championship. Atletico won 1-0. (Photo courtesy Pic-centre)

Only a miracle could get Gor Mahia back on track to reach the Kagame Cecafa Club championships quarter finals after they were beaten 1-0  by Burundi’s Atletico today at Nyamirambo Stadium.

Alexis Hakizimana scored the decisive goal for Atletico in the 72nd minute to inflict the second loss to Gor Mahia who were beaten 2-1 by Uganda’s KCCA in their opening match on Friday.

They must win their next two matches against Rwanda’s APR and Telcom from Djibouti and hope that other results are in their favor to be able to have a realistic chance of reaching the quarters.

Meanwhile, Allan Wanga scored a goal for his new club El Merreikh who beat Somalia’s Benadir 4-0 to stay on course for the quarter final of the regional tournament. Wanga who signed for the Sudanese side from AFC Leopards opened the floodgates in the 18th minute.

Ahmed el Basha scored a brace in the 24th and 88th minutes while Ahmed Traore netted the third goal in the 61st minute.

Police from Rwanda became the first team to reach the quarter finals when they upset Vital ‘O’, the defending champions 3-1. Jerome Sina scored the opening goal for Rwanda Police in the 30th minute. But, Shaban Hussein leveled for Vital ‘O’ in the 38th minute.

One minute of added time in this half saw Jacques Tuyisenge double the scores for the policemen. Jimmy Mbaraga completed the upset with a goal in the 69th minute.


Benadir (Somalia) 0, El Merreikh (Sudan) 4, Gor Mahia (Kenya) 0 Atletico (Burundi) 1, Vital ‘O’ (Burundi) 1 Police (Rwanda) 3.

Tuesday fixtures

KMKM (Zanzibar) v Adama City (Ethiopia) at 3 pm, Azam (Tanzania Mainland) v Atlabara (South Sudan) at 5pm. Moth matches at Regional Stadium, Nyamirambo in Kigali.