Losing start for Zico as Sofapaka blasts Gor

By alex wafula
Jun 19, 2017
  • Sony Sugar's Amos Asembeka wins the ball against Ulinzi Stars' Boniface Onyango.(Photo by Alex Wafula)

Zedekiah “Zico’ Otieno, the new Gor Mahia coach started his tenure at the helm of the club on a low, seeing his side lose 2-0 to Sofapaka at the Kinoru Stadium in Meru on Sunday.

Gor dropped to second on the log with defending champions Tusker FC going up after their 0-0 draw with Kariobangi Sharks in Machakos.

New signing Timothy Ludda capped off a wonderful debut for the 2009 champions with the second goal in the second half after Ezekiel Okare had pulled Batoto ba Mungu ahead in the opening half.

Sam Ssimbwa, the Sofapaka coach proved that his newly assembled team was equal to the task.

Half of the team he fielded against Gor were new players.

Hillary Echesa who was returning to the club after a stint with Chemelil Sugar was handed the armband.

Ugandan duo of Feni Ali and Umar Kasumba also started as so did Willis Ouma and Wesley Onguso on the left and right side of defense as did Rodgers Aloro in midfield.

Okare opened the scoring in the 12th minute when he caught the defense napping and did not mistake to beat Boniface Oluoch in goal.

Musa red carded 

Gor Mahia upped the ante in search for an equalizer and Timothy Otieno had a good chance but shot straight at the keeper.

Minutes later, Kenneth Muguna struck a freekick few inches wide with Kigonya beaten.

Meddie Kagere came close twice, first with a header that sneaked just wide while the second was from a shot that was parried away by Kigonya.

Sofapaka finished off the day early in the second half with Ludda pouncing on a spill from Oluoch to make it 2-0.

Gor’s day got worse late on when captain Musa Mohammed was red carded.

Ulinzi Stars, Sony Sugar draw

At the Afraha Stadium in Nakuru, Ulinzi Stars moved to third after a hard earned 1-1 draw with Sony Sugar.

KPL top scorer Stephen Waruru stretched his tally to eight with his second half strike to salvage a point for the soldiers.

Sony had dominated the first half but the hosts upped their game in the second period and should have had at least three goals.

After Ulinzi had two opening opportunities with Brian Birgen and Waruru’s shots sailing wide, Sony broke the deadlock courtesy of a poor defensive clearance from the hosts.

Amos Asembeka volleyed home after a poorly cleared corner.

Abdallah Hamisi’s well struck effort from 30 yards out was well collected by James Saruni as Sony upped the tempo, given a boost by the goal.

Boniface Muchiri who was a tormentor for the soldiers should have punished the soldiers for poor defense but he wasted his chance.

Geoffrey Kokoyo’s clearance was weak and Muchiri picked before cutting into the box.

After the break, Sony almost went two up when Muchiri’s long range effort caught Saruni off-guard, but the ball went against the crossbar.

Ulinzi picked up the early warnings that Sony were not in for a mess.

They immediately switched gears to more attacking play and they were rewarded with the 61st minute when Waruru blasted home from close range.

KPL weekend results: Saturday: AFC Leopards 0 Mathare United 0 (Nyayo Stadium), Chemelil Sugar 2 Nzoia Sugar 1 (Chemelil Complex), Thika United 2 Posta Rangers 2 (Thika Sub-County Stadium). Sunday: Bandari 0 Western Stima 0 (Mbaraki Complex), Kakamega Homeboyz 3 Zoo Kericho 3 (Mumias Complex), Kariobangi Sharks 0 Tusker FC 0 (Kenyatta Stadium Machakos), Sofapaka 2 Gor Mahia 0 (Kinoru Stadium, Meru), Ulinzi Stars 1 Sony Sugar 1 (Afraha Stadium, Nakuru).