Nakuru All Stars shock Simba as Gor cruise past Jang’ombe

By alex wafula
Jun 06, 2017
  • Meddie Kagere celebrates one of his two goals when Gor Mahia beat Jang'ombe. They face giant killers Nakuru All Stars in the semifinal on Thursday. (Photo Courtesy)

  • Nakuru All Stars knocked out Tanzania's Simba in the shoot out. (Photo Courtesy)

National Super League side Nakuru All Stars produced the shock of the SportPesa Super Cup by beating Tanzanian giants Simba 5-4 on post match penalties to qualify for the semi-finals.

In the early kick off, 15-time Kenyan Premier League champions progressed to the last four with a 2-0 win over Zanzibar side Jang’ombe FC.

The biggest upset followed later when Nakuru All Stars who are currently sixth on the log held on to a 0-0 draw in regulation time to force the match to penalties.

In the lotteries, the second tier side scored all their five goals while Simba missed their fifth with their keeper Daniel Agyei striking a weak effort.

Nakuru All Stars started the brighter side, commanding chunks of the first half and had the best chance to open the scores.

Geoffrey Maina found himself through on goal in the 10th minute with only the keeper to beat, but his attempt at lobbing over the keeper flew over the bar.

The Nakuru-based side exerted pressure on the Tanzanian giants but their decision making in the final third came short.

Mwinyi Kazimoto, a former Tanzanian international was the most lively of the Simba side.

In the 37th minute, he found space at the edge of the box before pulling a ferocious shot which skidded on the side of the upright.

Ibrahimu Ibrahim also had a fine opportunity for the hosts at the stroke of half time with a shot inside the box but it went over.

Simba upped the pressure in the second half seeking to avoid embarrassment infront of hundreds of their fans but couldn’t get the right formula to hit the much needed goal.

Kagere brace

In the early kick off, Gor Mahia proved too strong for the islanders Jang’ombe, Meddie Kagere scoring twice.

K’Ogalo settled early and took Jang’ombe by the horns by controlling the tempo.

Kagere had an early attempt with a shot smothered away for an unutilized corner by the keeper. Francis Kahata also tried his luck with a shot from distance but it sailed wide.

Timothy Otieno, much criticized for turning down a national team call up to be with Gor in Dar es Salaam also tried his luck with a shot from close range which was saved by the busy keeper.

Gor kept the same tempo in the second half and almost got one in five minutes but Wellington Ochieng’s header from a Kenneth Muguna freekick was stopped by the keeper.

Gor’s pressure bore fruit in the 66th minute when Kagere placed himself well inside the box to finish off a cross from Muguna.

The former Kenyan champions finished off the job seven minutes from time when Kagere swept home a penalty after Said Shomari handled in the box.

In this match, Gor missed most of their stars who are away on national duty. Keeper Boniface Oluoch, defender Musa Mohammed and midfielder Ernest Wendo are with Harambee Stars.

Godfrey Walusimbi is with the Uganda Cranes, Karim Nizigiyimana with Burundi while Jean Baptiste Mugiraneza and striker Jacques Tuyisenge are with Rwanda.

The semi finals will be played on Thursday with Gor facing Nakuru All Stars while AFC Leopards will be up against reigning Tanzanian champions Dar Young Africans (Yanga).