Nigeria's ban jeopardizes AFCON chances

By sportsnewsarena correspondent
Oct 27, 2014
  • Shaibu Amodu, the re-appointed Super Eagles manager may not have any duties to perform if Fifa bans Nigeria up to May 2015.

Twice banned by Fifa, Nigeria, who defied a Fifa directive and upheld a Jos High Court decision to annull the election of Amaju Pinnick as Nigeria Football Federation president faces a possible third ban.

The ban, which could run up to May 2015 would rule Nigeria out of next year's Africa Cup of Nations tentatively scheduled to take place from 17 January to 8 February in Morocco.

Nigeria have been banned twice for government interference in the NFF and Fifa warned another incident would result in a ban.  

Confederation of African Football (Caf) president Issa Hayatou had a meeting with Nigerian officials in Windhoek, Namibia on Saturday ahead of the final of the African Women's Championships that saw the Super Falcons defeat Cameroon.

Trouble ahead for Nigeria Fifa said in September that further NFF election complications would lead to Nigeria being banned from global football until the next Fifa Congress in May 2015.

Nigerian media reported Hayatou told sports minister Tammy Danagogo that unless the latest court order is reversed, Fifa will act on Monday.

As yet, there have been no signs of that. Justice Ambrose Allagoa ruled last week that the elective congress of the NFF should not be recognised as the Jos High Court had put in place 11 days earlier an order that the elections could not be held.

This injunction was brought by two members of the previous NFF executive led by Chris Giwa, which was stripped of its authority after elections that took it to power were deemed invalid by Fifa.

The court order was ignored by the NFF, which went ahead with their congress and the Pinnick-led executive was put in place. Justice Allagoa has ruled, however, that the original injunction remains in place and therefore the 30 September congress should not be recognised.

BBC Sport