Okeyo's last-minute goal denies Wazalendo

By ronnie evans
May 11, 2017

Fredrick Okeyo rescued Parklands Sports Club as he struck in the final minute to secure a hard fought 2-2 draw against Wazalendo in an entertaining midweek Kenya Hockey Union men’s Premier League at the City Park Stadium.

PSC in the process ended a run of three consecutive defeats.

Wazalendo were guilty of a lapse in concentration which coach Fidhelis Kimanzi highlighted. They remain third on the log with 12 points.

“We became sluggish and slow after scoring so early in the match. We were the better team but the defence lost concentration. This resulted in the goal we conceded during the final few seconds.I am not happy with the result because this a match I believe we should have won,” a livid Kimanzi said.

In this match, Wazalendo forged ahead after only 40 seconds when Nelson Shiraku scored with a vicious backhand shot after Boniface Noombi’s weak clearance fell on Shiraku’s path.

PSC appeared unshaken by conceding early.  They went in search of an equaliser.

Striker Allan Odongo wasted a golden chance to level matters in the third minute when he was alone with Bright Kezengwa in goal. Odongo lost his footing as he attempted to round Kezengwa allowing the shot stopper to clear.

On the other end, Wazalendo had a short corner in the ninth minute delivered by Job Omondi to Kennedy Muniala who in turn unleashed an angled shot that fizzed narrowly wide to the right post.

PSC was rewarded for all their hard pressing in the 11th minute through their typical style of play.

Oscar Mmbuka hit a hard cross field ball that evaded the Wazalendo defence and an unmarked Peter Gachanga was on hand to slot home from close range.

Odongo and Okeyo combined well

The goal sparked life into PSC ranks as Odongo and Okeyo combined well to open up the Wazalendo defence two minutes later.

Okeyo lost his marker, teased goalkeeper Fahrad Shire before his crisp shot hit the side board to close out the first quarter at 1-1.

In the second quarter, the teams retained playing with a high tempo. PSC opted to continue with their traditional long balls to target Odongo as Wazalendo stuck to short passes and attacked from the wings.

Wazalendo went 2-1 ahead in the 29th minute when Erick Ochieng was on hand to divert Stanley Chege’s shot into the net after a penalty corner that ricocheted off a defender on its way in.

The final two quarters saw the teams evenly matched with opportunities being far fetched.

The poor lighting as the darkness crept in did little to help. Shiraku had a chance to put the game to bed with eight minutes to go but PSC had Shire to thank for coming off his line to make a timely intervention.

This miss proved costly as the game turned on its head seconds to the end.

Okeyo scored the crucial equaliser after turning in Mmbuka’s trade mark crossfield pass to break Wazalendo hearts. Okeyo smothered the ball into the bottom right corner with Kezengwa flat-footed.