Sofapaka hold Gor as Ulinzi Stars move second

By alex wafula
Apr 20, 2015
  • Victor Ademba of Sony Sugar shields the ball from Mathare United's Peter Otieno in a KPL League match which Mathare United won 1-0. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

Sofapaka picked up a point after a one-all draw against defending champions Gor Mahia in a match marred by crowd trouble at the City Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The game had to be stopped for close to six minutes late in the second half after a section of the home fans threw objects onto the pitch protesting a referee’s decision.

Gor Mahia defender Dirkir Glay and Sofapaka forward Abdul Razak Fiston had been engaged in a scuffle with Glay going down allegedly from Fiston’s elbow. The fury of the fans was the fact that both Glay and Fiston were booked by ref Raphael Nduati while they expected only Fiston to get into the referee’s book.

Gor Mahia fans and officials calmed down the fans and the game continued. “My players are only human and you would expect them to lose a bit of concentration playing and knowing stones might land on them from the stands.

I don’t know why but ever since I came in here in almost all instances we play Gor Mahia, there must always be a scuffle,” Sam Timbe, the Sofapaka Coach said after the match.

But the Ugandan would be happier going home with the point especially after Gor Mahia missed numerous scoring chances. As early as the sixth minute, K’Ogalo had already knocked on Sofapaka’s door with Ali Abondo releasing Olunga with a decent through pass but Sofapaka keeper David Okello was fast off his lines to pick up the ball.

Meddie Kagere had an effort in the 13th minute go straight to Okello with the green army urging their side on. Kagere had another chance with a volley in the 27th minute going just wide after a neat interchange of passes with Michael Olunga.

Exploded into attacking spectacle

The game however exploded into an attacking spectacle in the second period, each team upoing the tempo in attack.

Eight minutes into the second period Abondo saw a rasping freekick wheeze just wide of Okello’s post. Eight minutes later, Kagere saw his header from close range going just over.

On the opposite end Enock Agwanda had his effort go straight to Boniface Oluoch from Antony Ndolo’s through pass. Michael Olunga twice had decent chances to give his side the lead, first failing to tap in a cross from Kagere while his second came one on one with Okello, with the Sofapaka goalkeeper coming out best stopping the striker’s shot.

In Nakuru, and own goal by Hillary Echesa and goals from John Makwatta and Stephen Ochollah gave Ulinzi Stars a 3-1 win over Nakuru All Stars in a local derby with Robert Matano’s side moving to second on the log just a point below leaders Gor Mahia.

Echesa turned the ball into his own net from Kevin Amwayi’s corner after the All Stars’ keeper had tipped over Oscar Wamalwa’s header. Makwatta scored his sixth goal of the season after beating the offside trap, with Ochollah adding the third in the second half after heading in John Nairuka’s cross.

In Muhoroni, Thika United continued with their impressive run beating Chemelil Sugar 1-0 via John Machariah’s goal. Tim Bryett has now led his side to six unbeaten matches as they keep the top eight hunt alive.

In Kisumu, Tusker FC bounced back from a three match winless streak with a 3-1 win over Western Stima who now drop to fourth from second spot. Dennis Sikhayi had given the hosts a valuable lead but birthday boy Jesse Were, Humphrey Mieno and Clifford Alwanga scored to give Francis Kimanzi a reprieve.

KPL Results

Gor Mahia 0 Sofapaka 0, Nakuru All Stars 1 Ulinzi Stars 3, Chemelil 0 Thika United 1, Mathare United 1 Sony Sugar 1, Western Stima 1 Tusker 3