Unbeaten Posta maintain top slot as holders Tusker roll on

By alex wafula
May 07, 2017
  • Posta Rangers players celebrate after a past league match. They won 1-0 against Sofapaka on Saturday.

Posta Rangers underlined their credentials as title hopefuls with a hard fought 1-0 win over Sofapaka in Nakuru on Saturday.

The result ensured Rangers maintained their top of the table position moving to 21 points, five ahead of second placed Gor Mahia who play arch rivals AFC Leopards on Sunday.

Dennis Mukaisi hit the all important goal 15 minutes to time, connecting with a header a cross from substitute John Nairuka.

He had come in at the start of the second half for Edwin Mwaura with Jared Obwoge also having been introduced for Geoffrey Kataka to add some attacking impetus.

“The change in system is what gave us the three points because in the first half, Sofapaka had pinned us. We played better after that and we deserved the victory. Maintaining our run is something that gives us so much confidence and hopefully we can keep it up,” Sammy Omollo, the Rangers coach said after the match.

Tusker stop Homeboyz

In Nairobi, Tusker FC continued with their resurgence, picking up a third consecutive win after beating Kakamega Homeboyz 1-0 at Ruaraka.

Humphrey Mieno tapped home the lone goal of the match. The brewers started the season on a low, losing all their opening three games of the season.

Skipper James Situma, speaking to Sports News Arena after the win over Homeboyz attributed the rise in form to a change in attitude among the players.

“We were playing as though we didn’t know what we were playing for. We had a meeting, sat down and made a decision that we are the defending champions and we should play for such. Away from playing for the company and the coach, we had to play for ourselves,” the experienced utility player said.

His sentiments were echoed by the coach Gorge Nsimbe who said; “They had an attitude problem. The moment that changed, everything changed.”

 Homeboyz were guilty of missed opportunities and coach Mike Mururi slammed his strikers for an off day in office.

"We would have won this game if you look at all the chances we created and lost. I always tell them that once we come to such an away ground we need to take our chances but today, we just couldn’t. I am disappointed,” the former Kenyan international added.

It was a game of two halves with Tusker commanding the opening half while the visitors took charge of the second.

Mike Khamati had the game’s first chance in the opening minute with his close range bouncing header from a Shafik Batambuze cross being parried away for a corner.

Tusker were more composed, passed the ball well and Cersidy Lumumba in midfield did well to manage the tempo of the game. Lumumba’s influence gave Humphrey Mieno more freedom to move upfront. The visitors had their first chance in the 12th minute when Wycliffe Opondo saw his low shot from the right well handled by Duncan Ochieng in the Tusker goal.

Tusker had another opportunity in the 18th minute when Mieno’s shot on the volley missed the target by a few inches. Meshack Karani was guilty of two missed chances for Homeboyz.

Tusker were awakened from their slumber after surviving those two opportunities and they made their surge count in the 33rd minute when Mieno tapped home.

The visitors keeper David Juma spilled a shot from Marlon Tangauzi and Mieno did the easiest of tasks, sending the ball home. Homeboyz should have drawn back level at the start of the second half but Karani wasted another glorious opportunity.

The forward was put through by Opondo to face Ochieng one on one, but he blasted the ball over when it was hardest to miss than score.

Elsewhere in Awasi, the tie pitting Chemelil Sugar and Muhoroni was rained off forcing the match officials to reschedule it for a 10 a.m. kick off on Sunday.