Ushuru frustrate Gor to barren draw ending Ze Maria’s winning streak

By alex wafula
Apr 10, 2016
  • Usher Goalkeeper Shaaban Odhoji readies to stop Jacob Keli's attempt at goal.(Photo by Shutterspeed)

  • Gor Mahia's Edmond Murai against Ushuru Jackton Onjala.(Photo by Shutterspeed)

Jose Marcello Ferreira’s winning streak was halted on Sunday as Ushuru FC held SportPesa Premier League defending champions Gor Mahia to a barren draw at the Nyayo National Stadium on Sunday evening.

K’Ogalo had very good chances to win the game, including a second half penalty, but their efforts were thwarted by a resolute Ushuru defense and good goalkeeping from Shabaan Odhoji.

Gor and Ferreira came into the match on a run of back to back wins and had hoped to keep their rise and ensure the gap between them and the top sides does not widen.

But Ken Kenyatta’s side maintained a huge defensive display, something that irked Gor’s Brazilian tactician.

“The other team did not come to play, they only defend. When every team plays against us, they put in all their energy. I am happy with what we gave in the first half but I am not pleased with our performance in the second half,” the coach, Ze Maria told Sports News Arena after the match.

Gor were not short of scoring opportunities in the opening exchanges, but none could find the back of the net.

Karim Nzigiyimana’s cross from the right in the fifth minute found Jacob Keli inside the six yard box but his tap was blocked by keeper Odhoji.

Edmond Murai, starting for Gor for the first time this season picked up the rebound but his shot was blocked off the line.

On the other end, poor communication between Musa Mohamed and his keeper Boniface Oluoch almost cost Gor, Dennis Wafula sneaking in between them to steal the ball. His tap goal-ward however was cleared off the line by a backtracking Musa.

Gor came closest ten minutes from the breather, Keli once again knocking on the door but his effort from a Murai cross went against the bar.

Five minutes into the second period, Gor had a chance to open the scores from the penalty spot which was hugely contested by the Ushuru players, but Keli once again failed to hit the target, Odhoji saving to keep his side in the match.

On the hour mark, Ushuru had their chance, this time Roy Okal shooting from range, but Boniface Oluoch palmed the effort away for a fruitless corner.

Posta beat Rangers

Ushuru should have finished the match with ten men after Nelson Marasowe picked his second yellow card of the match in the 90th minute, but it was not until after the final whistle that the referee Japheth Juma realized, flushing out the red with the Ugandan having played all four of the added minutes.

In the earlier kick off, Joseph Mbugi’s penalty at the stroke of half time saw Posta Rangers beat Ulinzi Stars 1-0, the latter’s unbeaten record coming down after seven matches.

Posta had a terrific second half, undoing Ulinzi with their speed both on the wings and centrally, but Robert Matano’s soldiers responded with an equally attacking second half.

Matano was forced into a sub in the 20th minute of the match, pulling off Erick Apul who was subdued in defense and bringing in the agile Boniface Onyango.

Before the goal, Posta had come closest with an indirect free kick in the 36th minute which Jockins Atudo banged onto the upright. Posta were awarded a penalty after Joseph Nyaga came tumbling down from a Brian Birgen challenge, Mbugi stepping up and scoring.

In other matches played on Sunday, Thika United picked their first win of the season, beating Chemelil Sugar by a solitary goal away in Chemelil. In Muhoroni, the hosts were 1-0 winners over Bandari, Wycliffe Ochomo scoring the lone goal in the 67th minute.

Results: Saturday - AFC Leopards 2 Sofapaka 1, Mathare United 1 Sony Sugar 0 (Nyayo Stadium), Kakamega Homeboyz 1 City Stars 0 (Mumias), Western Stima 1 Tusker FC 2 (Kisumu). Sunday fixtures: Posta Rangers 1 Ulinzi Stars 0, Gor Mahia 0 Ushuru FC 0 (Nyayo Stadium), Chemelil 0 Thika United 1 (Chemelil), Muhoroni 1 Bandari 0 (Muhoroni).