Azam interested in Wanga as Bidvest deal fails

By alex wafula
Jul 14, 2021
  • Allan Wanga could be transferring to Azam FC in Tanzania.

Harambee Stars striker Allan Wanga could be headed to the Tanzanian Vodacom premier League with 2013/2014 champions Azam FC expressing interest in the attacker and announcing talks are at an advanced stage to bring him over to Chamazi.

Azam have already secured the signature of Rwandese midfielder Jean-Baptiste Mugiraneza and are looking for Wanga’s signature to complete their pre-season signings.

Wanga had been destined for a move to the South African League with Bidvest Wits but a complication in acquiring a work permit coupled by a break-down in talks between Wits and Wanga’s agent scuttled the move.

The striker was in South Africa last weekend where he played in a friendly match and scored as Wits won 2-1 against Ajax Cape Town and was surely set to move to the PSL. “There was a challenge with the work permit because I was told it might take a long time, probably three months.

Also, there was some disagreement on personal terms with Wits not able to match the demands which my agent and I put in and when it seemed difficult that there was going to be an agreement, then we had to pull out.” Wanga told Sportsnewsarena.com.

He has admitted interest from Azam, but says there are teams in Zambia, Egypt and Tunisia hunting for his services but he is yet to make a concrete decision. “Yes, Azam expressed interest and they were in talks with my agent. There are couple of offers on the table as well but at the end of the day, I will have to go with the best deal for me.” Wanga added.

The Tanzanian side have been following up Wanga since they played against his former side El Mereikh in the CAF Champions League with the striker’s last minute goal away in Khartoum dumping Azam out of the tournament.

Gor's participation doubtful

Elsewhere, Gor Mahia, Kenya’s representatives in this year’s CECAFA Kagame Cup dangles in the balance as they are yet to get funds to purchase air tickets. Gor Mahia was thrown into the deep end after Football Kenya Federation said they were not in a position to purchase tickets for them as per the CECAFA member federations agreement last year.

Gor have now announced they will be holding a fundraiser on Tuesday evening in a bid to collect funds to help them purchase tickets, closing in on Sh1.5million for their entire travelling party.

“It is difficult for me to confirm we are going to Dar es Salaam because we don’t have money. We will have to ask our friends to help us and that is why we are calling for a Harambee.

All other teams are being catered for by their federations except Kenya and it is a pity because this was something agreed in the council meeting last year and ironically suggested by Kenya.” Gor Mahia chair Ambrose Rachier said.

CECAFA took the decisions last year in the wake of the postponed Senior Challenge Cup in a bid to step down the financial burden it has to carry, by shouldering some to the local federations.

The tournament starts on Saturday with Gor lined up to face Tanzanian champions Young Africans (Yanga). Teams are expected to start arriving in Dar on Thursday.