Butali go top after win over Strath

By sportsnewsarena correspondent
Mar 05, 2021
  • Butali Sugar Players at a past league game.(Photo by Shutterspeed)

Defending champions Butali Sugar Warriors beat Strathmore University Gladiators 2-1 in an exciting encounter played on Saturday City Park Stadium. The win lifted Butali to the top of the league with 54 points from 20 matches.

With Strathmore having proved to a be a tough team in their previous matches against top guns, Butali coach Cliff Okello didn’t take any chances picking his best squad that included national team players led by captain Kenneth Nyongesa, Zack Aura, Frank Anangwe, Maxwell Fuchaka and Seth Oburu all getting a start.

In the Strathmore camp, Meshack Senge also went for crème de la crème giving a start to national team rookie Derrick Kuloba and Clyson Luvanda. Festus Onyango, Fred Oracha and Francis Kariuki were tasked with hunting for goals.

Butali needing to win the match to regain the top place in the standing went all out in attack sending Strathmore all out on defense in the initial moments of the game.

The attacking play was duly rewarded in the 10th minute with a goal from Aura who scored a field goal to put his team in the lead.

The students regrouped and started pressing hard for the equalizer but Butali defense held tight keeping Strathmore attackers at bay.

But their persistence finally paid off in the 27th minute through Oracha’s field goal, a deserved equaliser.

The start of the second half piled pressure on Strathmore as Butali stepped up their attacking play.

In the 55th minute Fuchaka found a loop hole in the Strathmore’s defense to score the winner for the defending champion.

Strathmore made numerous attacking moves but none of them converted into a goal. In another match played at the same place, Green Sharks moved up to third place after beating Wazalendo 3-0.

Green Sharks took the lead in the 22nd minute through captain Samuel Muchera.

They held on to the slim lead till half time before Antony Mwori extended the lead with the second goal with seven minutes to the end of the match. Peponi School’s Carl Langbjenne made it 3-0 two minutes later from a field goal.