CAF ban referee, fine Tunisia after AFCON drama

By sportsnewsarena correspondent
Feb 04, 2021

The Confederation of African Football, CAF has banned Mauritian referee Rajindraparsad Seechurn for six months and slapped a $50,000 (Ksh.4.5m) fine on Tunisia Tuesday after a controversial Africa Cup of Nations quarter-final in Equatorial Guinea. The host nation equalised from a controversially awarded stoppage-time penalty to qualify for the semi finals on a shock 2-1 win over Tunisia last Saturday in Bata. They will face Ghana on Thursday while Democratic Republic of Congo face Cote d'Ivoire.

CAF'S extraordinary meeting held in Bata on Monday noted the 'poor performance' of the referee during the match adding that he 'failed to maintain calm and ensure proper control of the players during the match.

CAF statement in part read that the Referee's committee had decided: "To end the mission of Seechurn Rajindrapasard as a referee for the Orange AFCON 2015.To suspend him for a period of six  months for poor performance.To delist him from the CAF “A” Elite Referees panel."

Besides the fine, Tunisia also risk being banned from the 2017 AFCON finals should they fail to present a convicible letter of apology.

"Impose on the Tunisian Federation a fine of US$ 50,000 for the insolent, aggressive and unacceptable behavior of the players and officials of the Tunisian team during the aforementioned game. Instructed the Tunisian Federation to send to CAF before February 5th, a letter of apology for the insinuations of bias and lack of ethics against CAF and its officials, or to present irrefutable evidence to substantiate the accusations of the FTF.

Should the Federation not send this letter of apology or required evidence before the stated deadline, the disciplinary panel would suggest to the Executive Committee of CAF additional sanctions, including the possibility not to accept the participation of the national team of Tunisia in the next edition of Cup of Nations, AFCON, 2017."

The pitch invasion by some Equatoguinean fans and the lack of security measures observed, cost the hosts a financial penalty of US$5,000(Ksh 450, 000).