Emphatic KCB reclaim Kenya Cup title

By sportsnewsarena correspondent
Apr 22, 2021
  • KCB Curtis Lilako leads teammates in celebrating a fifth Kenya Cup win. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

  • Kisii RFC celebrate winning the KRU championship. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

  • Mombasa paid for indiscipline in the final against Kisii. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

KCB reclaimed the Kenya Cup title with a comprehensive 36-8 victory over defending champions Kabras Sugar at the KCB Sports Club on Saturday.

Darwin Mukidza drilled home a penalty to give KCB a 3-0 lead. He combined well with Andrew Amonde to set up Jacob Ojee’s try.

Oliver Mang’eni pounced on a loose ball off Duncan Mwangi’s fumble to touch down under the posts with Mukidza converting for a 15-0 score.

Kabras responded and their efforts eventually paying off when Philip Wokorach stroked home a penalty to narrow the scores 15-3.

Wokorach then made a try-saving tackle on Mike Wanjala after the KCB scrum half had beaten the Kabras defenders with a cheeky darting run.

With half time looming and after Kabras spurned possession and territory, Mukidza scored and converted for a 22-3 lead at the break.

Kabras started strongly after the break and were rewarded through Wokorach’s unconverted try. The champions sensed a lifeline with 37 or so second half minutes to play for.

Peter Karia who came on as a second half substitute for George Asin, landed the game’s fourth try, scoring off the rolling maul. Mukidza was sure to stretch the lead  29-8.

Mang’eni capped a fine day in the office, receiving the ball on the burst after Martin Owila plucked the ball from the lineout. He steamrolled his way to the try line for his double. Mukidza’s conversion confirmed the result.

This was KCB’s fifth crown, adding to titles won in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2015.

Kisii Crowned Championship

Kisii have won the KRU Championship by beating Mombasa 25-10 n the final at the Kenyatta University ground.

Isaac Wafula landed a 16th minute drop goal to give Kisii a 3-0 lead before Elvis Namusasi responded with a 33rd minute penalty from Elvis Namusasi.

Amos Obae scored a try on the stroke of half time and Isaac Wafula converted for the 10-3 score at the break.

Obae completed his brace after the break and Wafula added the extras for a 17-3 score.

Mombasa were reduced to 14 after Benedict Wesonga was sent to the sin bin. Namusasi followed as the coastal side paid for their indiscipline.

Wafula drilled a penalty as Kisii led 20-3 before Ian Amara landed for a 25-3 score. Moses Litunya’s converted try at the death reduced the deficit for Mombasa Boks

Elsewhere, Impala II successfully defended their Eric Shirley crown with a 13-12 win over KCB II in the final played at the USIU-A ground.

This match was a close contest with the teams heading into the interval locked 0-0.

Collins Wanjala’s unconverted try after the restart gave KCB II a 5-0 lead but Quinto Ongo’s two quick penalties saw Impala II go 6-5 up.

Vincent Onyala landed a converted try as KCB II went 12-6 up but a moment of indiscipline saw them crumble, conceding a penalty try that handed Impala II the win.