Gor Mahia go five points clear at the top

By nesta kizito
Sep 28, 2021
  • Gor Mahia players celebrate after scoring a goal against Chemilil in a KPL match.(Photo by Shutterspeed)

Gor Mahia took advantage of their closest rivals’ stumble to open up a five-point lead at the top of the Kenyan Premier League standings with a 1-0 win over Chemelil Sugar at the Nyayo National Stadium on Saturday.

A penalty early in the first half by Ugandan striker Dan Sserunkuma was enough for Gor to subdue the sugar millers who nevertheless battled every step of the way.

After the chasing duo of Sofapaka and Tusker dropped points in their matches on Friday, Gor went into the match knowing that a win would see them going five points clear at the top. ]

Coach Booby Williamson settled for a twin strike force of Sserunkuma and Kevin Omondi and it didn’t take long for the two make a positive impression in the match.

With barely ten minutes on the clock, tireless workhorse Innocent Mutiso threaded a through ball to Omondi who turned Chemelil skipper Charles Odete inside out only for the defender to hack him down inside the box. Sserunkuma stepped up and dispatched the resultant penalty with much ease.

K’Ogalo cranked up the pressure and should have doubled the lead two minutes later when David Owino surged forward on the right flank and unleashed a grass cutter that flashed just wide.

Vulnerable on the counter

Gor Mahia were, however, looking vulnerable on the counter. At the quarter hour mark they conceded a free kick just on the edge of the box after Donald Mosoti handled the ball and Stephen Wakanya tested Jeremy Onyango’s reflexes with a scorcher that K’Ogalo’s custodian palmed back into play.

Five minutes later Chemelil should have surely restored parity when they broke an offside trap but Onyango did exceptionally well to stand his ground and foil Jared Obwoge on a one on one situation.

The game evened out towards the midway of the half as Chemelil began winning important balls in midfield.

But it was Gor who should have scored the second goal at the half hour mark when Omondi found himself in space infront of goal after being set up by Mutiso but his attempted lob bounced off the upper side of the crossbar with Jairus Adira beaten between the sticks.

On the stroke of half time, Mutiso almost found Sserunkuma with a sharp cross that Adira, however, read well. The second half was a tale of countless missed opportunities for Gor Mahia.

The introduction of Joseph Wanyonyi for Moses Odhiambo added a lot of punch upfront as Gor laid siege on Chemeili.

K’Ogalo’s best chance came in the 60th minute when Sserukuma found David Owino with a cross from the right but the right back’s squared ball was miss hit by Kevin Omondi.