Green Sharks prey on Butali’s defense errors

By sportsnewsarena correspondent
Nov 05, 2017
  • Godfrey Wakachunga admitted Green Sharks were a much better team after conceding their second loss. Butali Sugar had not played for three months. (SNA. File Photo)

Butali Sugar’s return to the Kenya Hockey Union men’s Premier League after a three-month break ended in a heavy defeat by Green Sharks.

The former champions who committed basic errors were outplayed losing their second match of the season 1-3 to a determined and spirited Green Sharks at City Park on Saturday afternoon.

The result left coach Godfrey Wakachunga devastated. He attributed it to lack of match fitness and superiority by Green Sharks players. The popularity of hockey betting surges, with enthusiasts flocking to sòng bạc trực tuyến độc đáo. From NHL showdowns to international tournaments, fans eagerly wager on goals, assists, and final scores. The allure of strategic prediction coupled with the thrill of the game makes hockey betting a beloved pastime in the digital age.

“It is always tough to play a more determined and a fitter team when you are just coming from a long break. But that is definitely not an excuse. Green Sharks were far superior in all departments of the game.

We were outplayed and we were not even second best. Our opponents wanted to capitalize on our lack match fitness and they did exactly that by punishing us,” the tactician said.

Chris Wokila scored twice, while Chris Muchwanju scored once as Green Sharks came from a goal down to win. Frank Wanangwe had given Butali the lead in the fifth minute.

Green Sharks began with a solid defensive performance, and mixed it up with some good attacking play.

Butali drew the first blood, though, with Wanagwe pouncing on a defensive error to release a low reverse shot to beat Alexander Muge in goal.

Victims of their own mistakes

After the goal, Butali had chances of doubling the lead but they were victims of their own mistakes failing to capitalize on a number of chances they created including four shot corners in the first two quarters.

Green Sharks showed more vigour and resolve in the third quarter, and were rewarded for putting more players forward when Isaac Kamau’s cross from the right was met by Muchwanju in the 42nd minute.

The 1-1 score lasted just seven minutes before Wokila left a defender for dead before forcing keeper Vincent Odhiambo off his line to slap the ball in an empty net to take the lead.

The lead rejuvenated Ben Owaga’s charges and they kept on attacking Butali easily expoloiting their weaknesses.

Wokila scored his second in the 59th minute almost in the same fashioning as his first.

Owaga was very “happy” with the performance of his boys. “We are happy with our performance. All compliments to the boys for holding on to their nerves. They played as per plan,” Owaga said after the match.

In another match, KCA University coach Willis Otieno rued the absence of his key players and a weak bench for their 4-0 loss to leaders Kenya Police.

KCA-U had only 14 players turn up with most of the players including forward Arnold Marago and Ken Kimiti unavailable.

“Police were superior but had I had a full bench then maybe the score would have been different. I was forced to play with players who were exhausted,” Otieno explained.

Oliver Echenje scored twice in the 18th and 36th minute off field goal and penalty corner. Samuel Wokila made it three in the 39th minute before Robert Masibo scored the fourth goal in the 46th minute.

Nakuru Athletics Club were also victorious with a 3-1 win over Kenyatta University.

In the women’s premier league action, Amira Sailors thrashed Mombasa Sports Club 5-0.

Saturday Results

Premier League men: Butali Sugar Warriors 1 Green Sharks 3, Kenya Police 4 KCAU 0, Kenyatta University 1 Nakuru Athletics Club 3; Premier League women: Amira Sailors 5 MSC 0.