Kabras and KCB to meet in Enterprise Cup Final

By francis marangu
May 21, 2021
  • Marlin Mukolwe fires KCB backline in the Enterprise Cup semi-final match against Homeboyz. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

Replacement kicker Bernard Kiprotich missed a 79th minute penalty kick that would have won the game for Homeboyz RFC against Kenya Commercial Bank for a place in the Enterprise Cup final next weekend.

KCB was leading 11-9 and were living dangerously in the closing minutes.

After persistent pressure from the deejays, the bankers infringed at the ruck gifting the 2015 finalist a clear winning opportunity. But, Kiprotich who had come on for the injured Evis Asena was failed by his boot.

The bankers qualified for their fourth straight final and will meet Kabras Sugar who they beat in last year's final. Kabras beat Impala RFC 16-15 in the second semifinal.

Homeboyz sprung a late surprise by fielding Joshua Chisanga who has been away playing for Newcastle Falcons in the United Kingdom.

With Steve Otieno fitting into the backrow position, Chisanga started at left wing and was not visible enough. He swapped positions with Otieno late into the game but it could not help.

Homeboyz dominated the entire of first half that ended 3-3. Asena and KCB’s Shaban Ahmed traded penalties with Asena missing his second attempt.

The deejays camped in the KCB half for most of the time but could not create and execute scoring opportunities.

KCB took the lead

Seven minutes into the second half, KCB took the lead through a try by James Kilonzo at the right corner. He was at the tail end of well connected passes with Brian Omondi delivering the assist. Kiprotich scored a penalty for Homeboyz in the 54th minute with Ahmed kicking over for KCB at the hour mark.

In the 63rd minute, Homeboyz squandered the clearest opportunity to touch down. Michael Wanjala, playing at fullback, had made the break and passed the ball to Collins Shikholi who was unmarked on the wing.

Shikholi went for an easy try and touched down only to realize he had not crossed the line. Moments later,

Homeboyz put the KCB defense to task but Steve Otieno infringed at the ruck as another opportunity went to waste. Kiprotich kicked over a penalty before the devastating miss.

“They are not an easy team and we had to dig deep for this win. Going to a second final with different players shows we have depth,” Curtis Lilako, the KCB captain said.

“Getting a try after halftime gave us the belief and we knew we could win if we went for more territory.”

Thomas Okidia who captained Homeboyz blamed bad luck for their loss. “With time running out, we had to score that penalty but luck never smiled on us. We knew this was not a game to score many and easy tries. We live to fight another day.”