Mighty K’Ogalo are 2014 champions!

By nesta kizito
Nov 08, 2021
  • Gor Mahia coach Frank Nuttall lifts the trophy at the Kisumu Stadium after defeating KRA 3-0.(Photo by Shutterspeed)

  • Sofapaka Ellie Asieche in action against Tusker Khalid Aucho in their match which ended 2-2 at Ruaraka Sports Club.(Photo by Shutterspeed)

Gor Mahia claimed their 14th Kenyan Premier League title in emphatic fashion by whipping a hapless Ushuru FC 3-0 on Saturday afternoon before a sold-out crowd at Kisumu’s Moi Stadium.

With the erstwhile title contenders Sofapaka only managing a 2-2 draw against ten-man Tusker, Gor Mahia won the title with 60 points, three more than Batoto ba Mungu.

The victory also came with a small bonus for Ugandan striker Dan Sserunkuma who struck his 16th goal of the season to finish as the top scorer in the just concluded campaign.

Sserunkuma, who has been the club’s best performer this season, made sure that the Golden Boot award would be his for the taking with a 51st minute strike to double K’Ogalo’s lead after Eric Ochieng had scored the match opener just before the end of a first half in which an additional stoppage time of 10 minutes was played.

With Gor already cruising, Ushuru inflicted damage on themselves in the 81st minute when Richard Mmboyi scored into his own net.

The final match day fixtures came with an extra twist with Gor and Sofapaka locked in a two-horse race to the finish line.

K’Ogalo went into the match leading Batoto ba Mungu by a single and having choked at the final hurdle under similar circumstances, the two fixtures involving the two teams had an element of winner takes all.

Frenzied scenes

Gor did win, but only after the sell-out crowd in Kisumu, that included club patron and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga, had been kept waiting for close to an hour. Ochieng’s opening goal practically brought the roof down at the Kisumu venue.

At that point, it was clear that Gor Mahia were not going to let the trophy slip through their fingers. Then shortly after half time, Sserunkuma got his name on the scoresheet for the second goal as Gor Mahia fully took control of the match.

There were frenzied scenes at the final whistle as thousands of fans invaded the pitch turning the venue into what resembled a political rally.

At the lower end of the table, City Stars were relegated after they only managed a barren draw with Mathare United at Hope Centre while Kenya Commercial Bank survived the chop with a 3-2 victory over the already relegated Nakuru All Stars 3-2.

Benjamin Chaka, Ronald Musana and Raymond Murugi were the goal scorers for the bankers goals while All Stars responded with goals from Peter Ng’ang’a and Antony Nyang’or.

In other matches AFC Leopards beat Bandari 3-2 in Mombasa, Sony Sugar went down 1-0 in Awendo while Muhoroni Youth also wrapped up their campaign on a sound note with a 2-0 win over Western Stima.

Final match day results: Gor Mahia 3 Ushuru FC 0 Bandari 2 AFC Leopards 3 Tusker 2 Sofapaka 2, Thika United 0 Chemelil Sugar 0 Sony Sugar 0 Ulinzi Stars 1 Muhoroni Youth 2 Western Stima 0 KCB 3 All Stars2 City Stars 0 Mathare United 0