Nsimbe not sacked, Tusker clarify

By alex wafula
Oct 18, 2017
  • Nakumatt FC winger Boniface Akenga tries to find a way past Tusker defender Martin Kiiza in a KPL match on Wednesday. Tusker won 1-0. (Photo by Alex Wafula)

  • Not the ‘Best’ position for George Nsimbe who was off the Tusker FC bench in a KPL match against Nakumatt on Wednesday. He could be on his way out after a lukewarm performance. (Photo by Alex Wafula)

George ‘Best’ Nsimbe, the Tusker FC head coach has not been sacked, the club has clarified amidst rumors there could be a change at the helm for the 11-time league champions.

The Ugandan tactician was off the technical bench for the second time in his side’s 1-0 win over Nakumatt on Wednesday and sat in a corner of the pitch as he watched proceedings.

On Sunday as well against Muhoroni Youth, he watched the match from the sidelines.

Assistant coach Francis Baraza and development team coach Leonard Odipo took charge of the team in the weekend’s win against Muhoroni and Wednesday’s slim victory over Nakumatt.

Daniel Aduda, the Tusker FC chairman has confirmed that the coach has been asked to step aside following comments he made after their draw with Kariobangi Sharks last week.

Nsimbe said that he will be conducting some sort of radical surgery at the club in a bid to get rid of what he termed as ‘ageing players’, a comment that did not go down well with the experienced core of the team.

Aduda said that after a discussion with the coach, they made a decision to ensure the team remained united for their match against Muhoroni.

He assured that if an amicable decision was reached between the players and the coach, then he will be back on the touchline.

“The truth of the matter is that we have not sacked the coach nor have we suspended him. We just asked him to step aside as we try and see whether we can solve this thing. We will have another meeting with both parties and if everything comes back to normal, he will be back on the bench,” Aduda told Sports News Arena.

Nsimbe’s days numbered

But with Tusker FC’s history, Nsimbe’s days at the club might be close to over especially after failing to defend the KPL and GOtv Shield titles.

In 2015, Francis Kimanzi was asked to step aside a few days before the end of the season after unsatisfactory result and at the end of the season, he left.

Tusker’s leadership and that of their sponsors never mince their words when it comes to titles and more often, coaches have left the club after failing to win silverware.

James Nandwa was sacked in 2010 after two t’rophy-less’ seasons despite the club finishing third in the league.

Up came Sammy ‘Pamzo’ Omollo and after leading the team to their league title in four years in 2011 he was sacked midway through the following season.

Tusker failed to progress in the CECAFA Kagame Cup and locally their results were not convincing.

Robert Matano took over, leading them to title defense in 2012, but the tactician was shown the door at the end of the 2013 season but was also relieved of his duties after they lost the title to Gor Mahia in 2013.

Francis Kimanzi was the next on firing line after spending two seasons at the club. Immediate former coach Paul Nkata left the team on mutual agreement at the beginning of this season after winning the double for the first time in Tusker’s history last season.

The club meanwhile targets to finish the season in the top two with Gor Mahia’s title charge all but confirmed.

Baraza assured: “As a technical bench we will keep working and ensure that the team finishes in the top two. The last five matches will be like finals for us and we will give our best.”

The brewers squeezed off with a win against Nakumatt courtesy of substitute Boniface Muchiri’s second half volley.

Little to fight for

It wasn’t a game of clear cut chances as both teams had little to fight for; Tusker’s title chances all but gone and Nakumatt already assured of safety off relegation.

The alemen had the first opportunity of the game, Noah Wafula rifling a shot at goal from the right after being picked out by a Humphrey Mieno pass.

In the 26th minute, Mieno tried his luck with a freekick which went beyond the wall, but Nakumatt keeper Edward Owade fisted the ball away.

On the half hour mark, Mieno came to the end of a well weighted cross from Danson Kago, but his effort unmarked inside the box flew wide.

Nakumatt struggled to create chances at goal. The closest they came was two minutes to full time when skipper Peter Nzuki pulled a snap shot from distance, but it did little to trouble keeper Duncan Ochieng.

Not much changed in the second half either with minimal action infront of goal. Muchiri though brought the game to life in the 76th minute, rifling home a sweetly taken volley from 30 yards out after picking up a sublime pass from Brian Osumba.