Okeyo brace overcomes resilient Green Sharks

By ronnie evans
Dec 04, 2021
  • Butali Sugar celebrate a goal against Strathmore University. A heavy downpour saw the match stopped and will be continued on Sunday. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

A second half brace by Kenyan international Willis Okeyo helped Kenya Police come back from behind to overcome a resilient Green Sharks 4-3 in a dramatic Kenya Hockey Union men's third place playoff match at the City Park Stadium on Saturday.

Green Sharks came into the match full of belief after stretching the defending champions Butali Sugar in their 1-2 loss last weekend. They went ahead in the 11th minute through Kevin Simiyu's hard shot.

The goal appeared to have unsettled Kenya Police as they fell behind further through dangerman Simiyu five minutes later.

Pacy Kenya Police striker Calvin Kanu made his presence felt in the 29th minute as he found space after a penalty corner before firing past Elly Asura who just came into the side for regular keeper Elly Tangaza to make it 1-2.

Kenya Police were clinical in set pieces and Okeyo tied the game 2-2 in the 42nd minute after converting a penalty corner from a close range.

Simiyu completed his hat trick in the 54th minute with a neat finish to the top right corner after Kenya Police defenders were caught flat-footed to take a 3-2 lead.

Kenya Police responded once more through Okeyo when he was left free in the middle of the pack to coolly slot home four minutes later.

Police led for the first time

Kenyan international Kanu pounced once more on a loose ball as Kenya Police led for the first time at 4-3.

There was a moment of controversy when Victor Osiche appeared to have scored in the 63rd minute for Green Sharks but was adjudged to have wrongly controlled the ball inside the stipulated zone before scoring.

Kenya Police held on to complete their season double over their Green Sharks.

"It was a tough match for us. They played well and gave us a hard time. We converted the set pieces which is an area we have been working on it training. We are disappointed not to have been in the final but we will work to come back stronger next season," Kenya Police coach Ken Kaunda said after the match.

The final match pitting Butali Sugar Warriors and Strathmore University was stopped in the 52nd minute due to a heavy downpour. The teams were locked at 1-1 by the time the game was stopped.

Frank Wanangwe gave Butali Warriors the lead in the eighth minute. Paul Omariba equalised for the students in the 42nd minute.

The remainder of the match will be played on Sunday.


Saturday: Green Sharks 3 Kenya Police 4 -Third place playoff;   Butali Sugar 1 Strathmore University 1 -Final (Match abandoned in 52nd minute due to rain).