Ongo penalty steers hosts Impala to Floodlit final against KCB

By francis marangu
Oct 09, 2021
  • Bush Mwale keeps concentration on the ball despite being outnumbered by Mwamba players at the Impala Floodlit tournament Plate competition. (Photo by Shutterspeed)

Winger Quinto Oongo singly carried Impala RFC to the Impala Floodlit final with a try, conversion and penalty in the second half against Kenya Harlequin FC at the Impala Club on Saturday night.

Impala won the derby 13-11 after a 3-3 tie at halftime and will play champions KCB in a repeat of last year's final. "Every time we beat Quins, its always a good win," Fred Ollows, Impala's Director of Rugby said.

"There were no carries beyond the gainline in first half but it was Oongo's match in second half. We are focused on winning the title and expect a physical match from KCB."

The match was very physical and lived up to a true derby. George Okowa started at fullback in place of Samuel Oliech for Impala. In the 17th minute, Lyle Asiligwa kicked wide a penalty for Quins.

Eight minutes later, his boot was right as he slotted in a second penalty attempt for 3-0. Oongo missed a penalty attempt at the half hour mark before Nato Simiyu scored a drop goal three minutes to the breather.

In second half, the teams played for twenty minutes without getting to unlock each other's defence. The last twenty minutes served up a good contest. Impala was reduced to fourteen players after a yellow card and Quins made good use of their numbers.

Pius Shiundu, a former Impala winger scored a try that appeared to have grounded the gazelles. He touched down at the right corner after Quins connected good passes. While still celebrating the try, Quins found themselves on the back foot.

Kick and chase situation

Oongo scored and converted his own try after a kick and chase situation. It was becoming evident that Impala had sealed an important win until Kevin Keegan scored a penalty to put Quins 11-10 up.

It was not over yet.Impala played deep and forced Quins into an infringement at the ruck. Oongo stepped up to kick the winning penalty with the last piece of action.

Earlier, KCB blew up a comfortable 18-0 lead early into the game and allowed Nakuru RFC to claw back in their 28-26 win. KCB's Darwin Mukidza scored a penalty in the second minute and Martin Muita missed his attmpt for Nakuru.

Stafford Abeka then touched down for the bankers. KCB won a lineout but Nakuru resisted their mauling. Marlin Mukolwe picked out Billy Isabwa who passed to  Mukidza then Abeka for the try. Mukidza added a second penalty.

Andrew Amonde touched down the second try converted by Mukidza for 18-0. Muita kicked wide a penalty but it did not dampen the spirits of Nakuru to get back into contention. They were awarded a scrum in KCB's deep end with Mike Okombe scoring.
Edwin Okemwa who was named the man-of-the-match then touched down as KCB led 18-10 at halftime.

Muita's bad day in office continued as he missed an early penalty attempt a minute after resumption. Nakuru was slowly growing confident and sure with their play at the forwards. They won a scrum contest resulting in a try by Okemwa to go within three points of KCB.

Mukidza missed a penalty but slotted in another immediately afterwards before Geoffrey Ominde scored for Nakuru. Mukidza had another penalty miss but debutant Felix Ojow scored off a rolling maul set up from a line out. Mukidza converted.

Amonde was then shown a yellow card allowing Nakuru to score a penalty through Muita and a try by Edwins Makori from a rolling maul. Homeboyz RFC and Strathmore University will play in the plate final. Homeboyz beat Mwamba RFC 30-22 while Strathmore got over a poor start to beat Blak Blad 38-29.

The universities final will be contested by Blak Blad II and Menengai Oilers. In the semifinals, Oilers beat USIU-A 25-8 while Blak Blad II won 29-20 over Catholic Monks. In the schools, it will be a battle between Laiser Hill and Ofafa Jericho.

Laiser Hill beat Lenana School 61-6 with Ofafa Jericho beating Thika High 44-0.