Pumwani All Stars, Pipeline’s Headquarters sail through to Koth Biro semi finals

By alex wafula
Dec 31, 2021
  • Pumwani All Stars and Headquarters joined A 1000 Street and Opitos in the Koth Biro semi-finals to be played on Saturday and Sunday.

Highly fancied Flamingo were knocked out of the annual Koth Biro tournament by Pumwani All Stars 4-2 on post-match penalties in the quarter final matches played on Wednesday afternoon at the Ziwani ground.

Flamingo who had a strong side with a sprinkle of Kenya Premier League players rallied from behind to  draw 1-1 against an equally strong Pumwani but were unlucky in penalties.

Headquarters also went through after beating InterCity by the same margin to book a date in the semi-finals slated for Saturday and Sunday.

Flamingo missed Gor-bound play-maker Francis Kahata although they still had Nakumatt FC goalkeeper Wycliffe Kasaya while David Otieno (Ushuru) and Dennis Orenge (Mathare United) controlled the defense.

Others were Enock Agwanda (Gor Mahia), Moses Otieno (Posta Rangers), Maurice Odipo, Ezekiel Odera (Sofapaka) and Moses Odhiambo (Ushuru).

Pumwani had a youthful side with a number of Premier League experience among them Charles Odette (Posta Rangers), Cersidy Lumumba (Tusker FC) and the Nakumatt FC duo of Peter Nzuki and Tyrone Owino.

In this match, Flamingo had the first chances with Moses Odhiambo and Moses Otieno firing shots which were saved by the Pumwani keeper Hamisi Ayan.

They were hit against the run of play in the 13th minute when Mathews Okoro beat Kasaya with a low shot after a Flamingo defender had misjudged a cross ball.

The star-studded Flamingo side responded and Odhiambo, nicknamed Dube hit the uppright after controlling a cross from Agwanda who had done well to create space on the left.

After going into the breather a goal up, Pumwani came into the second period with a defensive mindset. They were almost undone two minutes from the restart when Agwanda found space from an intelligent Odipo pass but his eventual shot was saved by the keeper.

Pumwani weakened in second half

Pumwani were weakened 15 minutes into the second half when Odette who had all afternoon marshaled the defense well limped off with an injury. Flamingo piled the pressure using Agwanda’s strength in throw-ins but Pumwani kept their lines close.

In the 84th minute, Odera drew the sides level with a first time shot after Agwanda had flicked on Kasaya’s long ball.

Going into penalties, Flamingo again started on the wrong foot with Odipo sending his kick wide but Kevin Shikolio and Cersidy Lumumba scored for Pumwani with Ezekiel Odera keeping the scores 2-1 scoring for Flamingo.

Gregory Nyapala, a former AFC Leopards defender  then gave Flamingo a ray of hope when he sent his kick wide, but Peter Wainaina, a Mathare United midfielder never took advantage, sending in a weak kick that the Pumwani keeper saved.

Bernard Meki and Peter Nzuki went on to score for Pumwani while Flamingo never needed to take the fifth kick despite Agwanda having also scored.

In the last quarter final of the tournament, InterCity reinforced their squad with Premier League players such as Bandari-bound Felly Mulumba, his new team mate David King’atua and Ulinzi Stars’ Geoffrey Kokoyo.

However, a young and tactically organized Headquarters managed to keep them quiet and even had the better chances of winning the game. Tied at 0-0 in full time the match was decided on penalties.

InterCity began on the wrong foot with Benson Iregi missing. Justine Wambi, Derick Otanga, Allan Omondi and Kelvin Kyala scored for Headquarters while Kennedy Otieno and Francis Chege scored for InterCity. Stephen Iganji missed one more kick for the Kawangare side.

The semi-finals will be played over the weekend with defending champions A1000 Street facing Opitos  while Pumwani will tackle Headquarters on Sunday.