Rampant Gor Mahia march on

By nesta kizito
Oct 02, 2021
  • Gor Mahia Dan Serenkuma tries to beat Mathare United goalkeeper Peter Odhiambo.(Photo by Shutterspeed)

Gor Mahia made a major leap forward in their quest for the Kenyan Premier League championship with a deserved 2-1 win over Mathare United in a thrilling match at Nyayo National Stadium on Wednesday evening. The win moved Gor Mahia to 47 points, eight more than second-placed Sofapaka with six matches to go.

Gor Mahia coach Booby Williamson made only two changes from his squad that beat Chemelil Sugar at the weekend with promising teenager Joseph Wanyonyi and Paul Kiongera starting ahead of Moses Odhiambo and the industrious Innocent Mutiso.

The 17-year-old Wanyonyi, who only made his first league appearance for the club last weekend, repaid his coach handsomely with a man of the performance that left Williamson purring with satisfaction.

“He is still young but his confidence is soaring with every match. He can only get better,” Williamson said of Wanyonyi. However, it was Ugandan striker Dan Sserunkuma who weighed in with a goal and an assist for assure K’Ogalo of all three points.

Gor Mahia dominated play for prolonged spells in the first half but were frustrated by a Mathare side that was more content in sitting back and soaking in pressure.

But despite spurning numerous chances that came their way, the only clear cut goal scoring opportunity that Gor created in the first half was Paul Kiongera’s speculative shot in the 27th minute that Peter Odhiambo in Mathare’s goal tipped over the crossbar.

Gor Mahia imposed themselves early in the match taking control of the midfield battle, where the menacing pair of Joseph Njuguna and Eric Ochineg patrolled. However, they found it hard to break down the Slum Boy’s defensive wall. 

Kept knocking on Mathare’s door

After the break, Gor Mahia displayed greater hunger for an opening and came close to opening the scoresheet in the 48th minute when Odhiambo spilled Kevin Omondi’s chipped cross but recovered quickly before the lurking pair of Dan Sserunkuma and Paul Kiongera pounced.

Gor kept knocking on Mathare’s door and when the much sought after goal finally arrived it came in the most outrageous of ways.

Odhiambo played a short goal kick to his centre backs whose spilt second hesitation allowed the fleet footed Sserunkuma to dart across and intercept the ball before calmly tacking it home.

Stung by the goal Mathare came out of their shell with sporadic counter attacks in the hope of coming back into the match.In the 65 minute Kenneth Wendo released Vincent Okello with a wonderful through ball but the latter hurriedly scooped his shot over the bar with acres of  the ante.

But Gor weathered the storm and delivered the sucker punch in the 87thminute when throw in on the left found Sserunkuma in full flight.

The diminutive Ugandan striker skillfully got past one man before laying off a neat pas to Wanyonyi.

Odhiambo did well to palm the youngster’s shot but could nothing to save second half substitute Edwin Lavatsa’s smashing rebound into the roof of the net.

Francis Ouma then latched on to a long ball, controlled the ball under pressure from Donald Mosoti, only to see his final shot flashing just wide.

Moments later, Osborne Monday’s free kick went just wide off Jerim Onyango’s right top corner as Mathare upped the ante.

That pretty much ended the match as a contest, but Mathare sprung a surprise in the dying minutes of the game when Kenneth Wendo out muscled Donald Mosoti to a long ball and delicately chipped the ball over the flailing Jerim Onyango to set the stage for a frantic final exchange.